Saturday, May 14, 2011

Crown Victoria Suspension Installation

I worked today at installing the Crown Victoria suspension crossmember in the pickup. The plan is to run the bolts through from the bottom to 3/4" bar stock on top of the frame rail. The factory system on the Crown Victoria wasn't quite this stout, but it's ok to overbuild a little. I may also box the frame around the crossmember to give it a little more support since it's the attaching point for the engine and the whole of the front suspension. There are also crush tubes around the bolts. My Dad is a machinist, so he made the parts for me out of some steel I bought at Metal By The Foot. I told him the wrong size on the rear crush tubes, so I'll have to take them back up to the shop and face a little off of them to get them to slide easily under the rails.

After this crossmember was installed, the frame became so much more rigid. I need to fabricate a mount for the trailing section of the lower control arms and apparently I've lost one of the nuts that holds screws onto the bolts on top of the crossmember.

Monday, May 2, 2011

Frame Clean and Assembled

Tonight after work, I blasted the last couple crossmembers clean and put the frame together loosely on the driveway to test the fit. I didn't have a whole lot of time, but I didn't have too much to do either.
I am planning to prime it disassembled to protect the crevices from rust and then paint it as an assembled unit.
There are a couple small areas left to repair before priming. I also plan to get the front Crown Victoria crossmember completely test fit before priming the frame. There's a lot of work left to do, but it's nice to see a little visible progress.