Saturday, June 26, 2010

New Bed

Here's the bed I bought. Restoring Mustangs is easy. When you find a rusted part, order a replacement from one of 600 suppliers. This truck has almost no replacement panels available, so the only source is non-rusted original parts.
The cab I bought in Texas a few years back came from California. This bed was from California. Inner fenders came from Las Vegas (purchased in KC on Craigslist) and the LH fender came from California. The RH fender came from Idaho, but it was a part someone bought new from Ford and stored for years. The hood I picked up from a local junk yard.
California is a great source of original sheet metal.
I should clarify this project a little. This truck has been in the family for many years. It was my Great-Grandpa's and then my Grandpa's before he gave it to me. The body was in excellent condition but the Missouri salt had eaten the floor and most of the unseen panels in the front. About 6 years ago, I took the front off the frame and installed a new engine and transmission. Over the course of the last few years, I've taken it mostly apart and sourced nearly all of the new parts the truck will need to get it back up and running and looking great.
Once I tidy up the garage a little, I'll get some pictures posted of the whole project.

More Media Blasting

I got a free moment to do a bit of blasting last night. LH front fender, RH inner fender, stone guard and FORD panel all cleaned up pretty well. I was having issues keeping the air supply dry. I'll have to install a separator or something because it's really annoying to stop and clear out the wet glass every few minutes. Here's the before and after. I hope to get more done tonight...

Wednesday, June 2, 2010


I started blasting the truck clean. Beginning with the passenger's door I and ending half way through the hood. Unfortunately, the blaster started clogging with the moisture that I neglected to filter from the air supply. Tomorrow after work, I'll have to pick up a water separator and hope that there isn't too much moisture in the machine to make it run.

The door took one bag of material to clean. I got through most of the top of the hood on the second bag of the day.